Skin, like all organs of the body, undergoes changes due to the passage of time.
Because exposed skin on the face, neck, chest and hands is subjected to damage from the environment, our skin often looks older than we feel.
The desire for a “healthy tan” in the second half of the 20th century has led to dramatic increases in skin cancer and premature aging of the skin.
Damage from ultraviolet (UV) light exposure is responsible for almost 80% of the skin changes commonly attributed to the aging process. The biggest sources of UV light are the sun and indoor tanning beds.
Factors that contribute to skin aging are:
- UV light exposure (photoaging) from the sun and tanning beds
- Environmental factors, such as pollution and smoking
Because Sun damage is the single most important factor in skin aging, often our apparent age differs greatly from our chronological age. As advances in skin biology have broadened our understanding of the aging process, many new minimally-invasive treatments have been developed to slow down aging and rejuvenate the skin.
Thinning of all three layers of the skin – epidermis, dermis and subcutaneous fat, as well as changes in the facial bone structure and size lead to many of the visible signs of aging:
- Greater visibility of bony structures of the face, like cheekbones, chin and jawline (bony show).
- Drooping eyebrows and eyelids
- Hollowing of the temples, cheek and mouth areas
- Formation and deepening of the nasolabial folds, smile lines and marionette lines
- Formation of jowls
- Thinning of the lips and flattening of the Cupid’s bow (philtrum)
- Drooping corners of the mouth
- Drooping of the nasal tip
- Increased skin laxity and sagging, combined with soft tissue, fat and bone changes lead to the development of wrinkles, folds and creases in the face
Comparison of young and aging facial structures
|Forehead||Wide, smooth forehead||Lines and furrows in the glabella and forehead caused by repeated pull on the skin by muscles of facial expression||BOTOX Cosmetic Dermal Fillers
Fractional Laser Resurfacing Photo Facial/IPL
|Brow||Firm, wrinkle-free brow with a gentle curve from forehead to eyelid and a “Faberge Egg” of soft tissue and bone providing lift and support
Well-defined upper eyelid crease
|Downward drift and ptosis of the brow, lateral brow hooding, redundant, loose eyelid skin with disappearance of the eyelid crease, crow’s feet, fine and deep wrinkles||BOTOX Cosmetic Dermal Fillers
|Eye||Open, almond-shaped eye with a gradual transition from eyelid to the full, smooth apple of the cheek||Hollow, sunken tear trough due to shrinking of the orbicularis muscle, thinning orbital bony structures and fat||BOTOX Cosmetic Restylane Fractional Laser Resurfacing Skin Tightening|
|Cheek||Smooth, uninterrupted arc from temple to upper lip, reflecting light||Hills and valleys due to loss of soft tissue, fat and bone create shadows on the cheeks.
Loss of bony, fat and soft tissue support causes skin to sag and form deepening nasolabial folds, marionette lines and jowls
Fractional Laser Resurfacing Skin Tightening Photo Facial/IPL
|Ear||Firm, well-shaped, visible earlobe||Elongation, wrinkling and thinning of the earlobe||Dermal Fillers
|Nose||Smooth nose with well-positioned nasal tip||Wrinkling of the back of the nose due to bone and cartilage loss and repositioning
Drooping nasal tip
|BOTOX Cosmetic Dermal Fillers
|Mouth||Full upper lip with well-defined Cupid’s bow
Plump, soft, full lips
|Thinning lips due to upper lip lengthening and droopiness
Flattening of Cupid’s bow
BOTOX Cosmetic for lifting lip corners MicroLaserPeel Fractional Laser Resurfacing
|Chin||Smooth arc of chin with generous draping of soft tissue||Drooping, receding chin due to bone and soft tissue loss||Dermal Fillers
BOTOX Cosmetic for chin creases
|Jawline||Smooth curve of the jawline||Jowl formation
Fractional Laser Resurfacing Skin Tightening
|Neck||Well-defined angle between chin and neck (cervicomental angle)||Loss of cervicomental angle
Fat deposition in the neck
Platysmal bands due to overactive superficial muscle of the neck
|BOTOX Cosmetic Fractional Laser Resurfacing Photo Facial/IPL Skin Tightening|
What treatments can improve and restore aging facial skin?
BOTOX® Cosmetic is ideal for:
- Frown lines (between your brows)
- Worry lines (on the forehead)
- Drooping eyebrows
- Crows feet
- Smile lines
- Drooping lip corners, lines around the mouth
Dermal fillers: Juvederm®, Restylane®, Perlane®, Radiesse® and Sculptra®, each with its unique features and benefits to replace lost volume and treat lines, creases and wrinkles to help restore a more youthful, glowing appearance.
Dermal filler treatments are ideal for:
- Folds and wrinkles of the face
- Dark circles under eyes
- Accenting and plumping lip size (lip enhancement/lip augmentation)
- Smoothing vertical lip lines (smoker’s lines/wrinkles around the mouth)
- Facial scars from acne or injury
- Non-surgical nose reshaping
- Facial sculpting and volume restoration
- Naso-labial folds (upper and lower laugh lines) and frown lines
- Depressed corners of the mouth
- Marionette lines
- Augmentation of cheek bones, chin or bridge of the nose
Photo Facials, also known as Photo Rejuvenation, delivers Intense Pulsed Broadband Light (IPL or BBL) energy through the skin’s surface to treat age spots, sun-induced freckles, symptoms of rosacea, unsightly veins, acne scarring and other blemishes.
Photofacials are ideal for:
- Reducing redness & facial capillaries
- Reducing age spots, freckles and sun damage
- Reducing fine lines
- Improving skin tone
- Treating rosacea
MicroLaserPeel, also known as the “Weekend Peel” is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that precisely removes the outermost layers of the skin, improving fine wrinkles, sun damage and skin texture.
MicroLaserPeels are ideal for:
- Sun damage
- Fine wrinkles
- Mild scars
- Age spots
- Poor skin tone/texture
- Pigment irregularities
Fractional Laser Skin Resurfacing is an excellent choice for removing sun damaged skin, including discoloration, wrinkles, fine lines, and moderate to severe acne scarring. Other benefits include improvement in tone, texture, pore size and skin tightening, without the usual downtime.
Fractional Laser Resurfacing is ideal for:
- Moderate to severe sun damage
- Moderate to severe acne scars
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Vertical lip lines
- Surgical and accident scars
- Stretch marks
- Melasma reduction
- Uneven texture
- Skin quality improvement
Skin Tightening with SkinTyteTM delivers gentle pulses of heat deep into the skin, which causes some immediate tissue tightening and triggers new collagen production.
Facial SkinTyteTM treatments are ideal for:
- Firming forehead and cheeks
- Lifting the eyebrows
- Tightening jowls and neck
- Reducing wrinkles around the eyes